可口可乐公司宣布不会继续收购汇源果汁集团

                 

核心提示:可口可乐公司18日宣布,由于中国商务部公布了不批准对汇源果汁业务建议收购的决定,因此可口可乐公司将不能继续有关收购行动。

新华网北京3月18日电 记者从可口可乐中国公司获悉,可口可乐公司18日宣布,由于中国商务部公布了不批准对汇源果汁业务建议收购的决定,因此可口可乐公司将不能继续有关收购行动。

“我们很遗憾该项交易未能如计划进行,但我们尊重商务部的决定。”可口可乐公司总裁及首席执行官穆泰康说。

“在审批过程中我们尽了最大的努力提供一切有关的材料协助商务部清楚了解此项交易。”穆泰康表示,“我们一直希望可以与优秀的汇源团队一起推动汇源品牌更进一步的发展。”

“我们将专注于利用我们的资源和专业优势继续发展我们现有的品牌,并致力于研发和创新新的饮料产品,包括果汁领域。我们在上海刚刚启用的投资九千万美元的全球研发中心将在创新研发方面扮演重要的角色。我们在中国的业务2008年增长了19%,现在中国是可口可乐全球第三大市场。”穆泰康说,“我们着眼于在中国市场的长期发展,并承诺为中国消费者提供更多样化的优质饮料选择。”

最近可口可乐公司宣布,未来三年将在中国市场投资20亿美元,用于兴建工厂,强化分销系统,加强市场营销,并增强在本土的产品研发创新能力。可口可乐自1979年重返中国市场后在中国市场共计投资16亿美元。“我们还会继续加大对中国公益事业的投入,并为中国的可持续发展和繁荣尽我们的努力。” (本文来源:新华网 作者:罗宇凡、周文林)

Coke Bid for Juice Maker Turns Sour

The government rejected Coca-Cola’s plan to acquire beverage maker China Huiyuan Juice Group Ltd for $2.4 billion on Wednesday, citing the country’s anti-monopoly law.

The acquisition by Coca-Cola, announced last September, would have been the largest ever buyout of a Chinese company by a foreign rival.

The planned takeover violates the provisions of the Anti-Monopoly Law, the Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said in a statement, adding that it would have restricted competition and harmed the domestic juice industry.

“If the acquisition went into effect, Coca-Cola was very likely to reach a dominant position in the domestic market and consumers may have had to accept a higher price fixed by the company as they would not have much choice,” the statement said.

The MOC launched an anti-trust investigation on Nov 11 to determine whether the acquisition would harm other rivals, consumer rights or technological innovation.

The bid was the first major deal to test the Anti-Monopoly Law, which took effect on Aug 1 last year. If passed, the deal would have been Coca-Cola’s largest overseas acquisition and the company would have been able to expand its dominant position in the carbonated drinks market to the juice market.

The ministry said that Coca-Cola and Huiyuan are major brands in the juice market, and therefore, the combination would have restricted competition in the industry and made it more difficult for other players to enter the sector.

The ministry said the deal would also have squeezed development space for other small- and medium-sized enterprises, and is not good for the development of the country’s juice industry.

Huiyuan said yesterday that it respects the decision made by the ministry, and production would continue as normal. The company’s share dived 19.24 percent to HK$8.30 yesterday before trading was suspended shortly after the market opened in the morning.

Muhtar Kent, president and chief executive officer of Coca-Cola, said: “We are disappointed, but we also respect the MOC decision.”

He said the company had put a tremendous effort into providing all the relevant materials to the MOC to ensure that they had all the information available and understood the transaction.

“We were looking forward to working with the excellent Huiyuan team to stimulate new growth for the Huiyuan brand.”

He said the company will now focus all of its energies and expertise on growing existing brands and continuing to innovate with new brands, including in the juice segment.

Huang Wei, beverage analyst at China Jianyin Investment Securities, said: “The ministry’s decision is not surprising. But it’s not good for Huiyuan, whose market share will probably shrink as international players such as Coca-Cola invest more in the juice market.”

Coca-Cola’s offer to buy the Hong-Kong listed company was seen as a major strategic move to tap China’s fast growing juice market.

While the world’s largest soft drink manufacturer dominates the carbonate market in China, its share in the juice market is relatively small.

On the other hand, Huiyuan is the largest juice beverage maker in China, with over 45 percent of the pure juice market in the country. It also controls more than a tenth of the Chinese fruit and vegetable juice market that grew 15 percent last year to $2 billion. Coca-Cola has a 9.7 percent market share and dominates in diluted juices.

China is Coca-Cola’s fourth-largest market and a key battleground with rival PepsiCo Inc.

Huiyuan’s founders and major shareholders had endorsed the sale as a way for the company to improve product development and marketing.

An MOC official said Coca-Cola had tried to address the negative effects on competition after it sought government approval for the deal in November, but its efforts did not meet the requirements of regulations.

“It is only an isolated case, and it does not suggest any change in China’s policy on foreign investors,” the official said.

The MOC said it has investigated 29 proposed acquisitions under the anti-monopoly law since August and approved 24.

(China Daily March 19, 2009)

商务部否决可口可乐并购汇源案

商务部18日表示,可口可乐并购汇源未通过反垄断调查。对此消息,可口可乐选择了“噤声”,汇源则在召开“闭门会”商讨对策。

商务部3月18日表示,可口可乐并购汇源未通过反垄断审查。这是反垄断法出台后,商务部第一次对跨国公司并购国内品牌企业亮出红牌。

商务部否决三大理由

商务部公开未通过审查的三个原因:第一,如果收购成功,可口可乐有能力把其在碳酸饮料行业的支配地位传导到果汁行业。第二,如果收购成功,可口可乐对果汁市场的控制力会明显增强,使其它企业没有能力再进入这个市场。第三,如果收购成功,会挤压国内中小企业的生存空间,抑制国内其它企业参与果汁市场的竞争。

与此前同样喧嚣一时但最终成功的强生大宝并购案、苏泊尔并购案等相比,这次在反垄断法出台的背景下,商务部果断亮牌的举动,还是令众多业内人士感到意外。商务部研究院跨国公司研究中心副主任何曼青对网易财经表示,他对此消息深感惊讶,之前市场一直看好此次并购,但是商务部最终没有批准,今后外资公司来中国并购会更加谨慎。

汇源“闭门会”商对策

然而,风暴眼中的双方当事人却似有人事先知道消息。可口可乐选择了“噤声”,汇源则在召开“闭门会”商讨对策。

商务部发出禁购令前夜,从17日下午开始,汇源紧急派出公关公司与京城财经媒体联系,收集联系方式,表示下一步将有消息告知大家。18日消息传出后,汇源公司多名相关人士电话处于无人接听状态,据相关人士透露,汇源正在顺义总部召开“闭门会”商讨对策。

而敏感的市场更似提前知晓消息,汇源果汁今日在香港联交所开盘跌22.3%,报8港元。但很快,10点13分汇源果汁盘中暂停交易,停牌前,汇源果汁大跌19.4%,报8.3港元。

可口可乐召开紧急会议

一向笑对媒体几乎有问必答的可口可乐中国区发言人、副总裁李小筠,其手机和办公室电话均处于无人接听状态。网易财经第一时间连线可口可乐公司媒体副总监翟梅,她对网易财经表示,可口可乐公司马上会出一份书面声明,这期间该公司不会回答媒体任何内容。据可口可乐相关人士透露,公司下午临时召开紧急会议,但不清楚具体细节。

近年来,民族品牌和同行业跨国公司之间,重复演绎了一幕幕相似的桥段:收购与被收购—同业和舆论激烈争议—搁置或成功。但是由政府出面明确叫停,汇源案还是第一起。此举对于正在酝酿中或以后可能发生的跨国并购影响深远。

或许,现在是如汇源这种渴望通过并购更深融入全球经济链的本土企业,以及如可口可乐这种希望通过并购开拓或深耕中国市场的跨国公司们,重新思索考量企业战略的时候了。 (本文来源:网易财经 作者:野火战队)